From Forks Over Knives — The Cookbook
This sweet and savory soup could almost be a dessert soup, as ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon are spices you find in many sweet potato and pumpkin pie recipes. The onion and garlic temper the sweetness, however, with a savory boost in this comforting recipe.
• 1 large onion, peeled and diced
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
• 1 tablespoon grated ginger
• 1 tablespoon thyme
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
• 6 cups Vegetable Stock or low-sodium vegetable broth
• Zest and juice of 1 orange
• 1½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the onion in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the onion from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic, ginger, thyme, nutmeg, and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, and orange zest and juice and bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 25 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
2. Puree the soup using a Vitamix or in batches in a blender with a tight fitting lid, covered with a towel. Return the soup to the pot and add the almond milk. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until heated through, and season with salt and pepper.