- 2 cups cooked or 1 can (15 ounces) undrained black beans
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/8 c jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup gluten-free dry bread crumbs or gluten-free quick oats
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal (non GMO)
- 2 tablespoons coconut or other heat stable oil
1 . Place beans, onions, jalapenos and garlic in food processor or blender. Cover and process until slightly mashed; remove from food processor. Mix beans, chilies, bread crumbs and egg. Shape mixture into 5 patties, each about 1/2 inch thick. Coat each patty with cornmeal.
2 . Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook patties in oil 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until crisp and thoroughly cooked on both sides.
3 . Top with lettuce, mustard, and or salsa. Use whole-grain gluten-free buns or better yet, romaine lettuce to wrap.