Planning is the key to success when the goal is improving your health. Slow-cooking is an easy way to plan your week with healthy meals. Plan ahead by making one crockpot meal and one stovetop meal on the weekend to ensure you have good options throughout the week. This reduces the temptation to stop and grab fast food.
- 1 lb chopped organic carrots
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 6 oz organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups of chopped pineapple
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp nonGMO low-sodium Soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 1/4 tsp of pink Himalayan salt salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp of fresh minced garlic or powder
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot powder (healthier thickening agent vs cornstarch)
- 1/4 c water
Serve with 3 cups cooked brown rice.
Layer carrots and onions in slow cooker. Top with chicken.
Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Place pineapple over chicken.
Next, mix pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, salt, ginger and garlic. Pour over the top.
Cook on low 6-7 hours.
Combine arrowroot powder and water then stir into the slow cooker. Cook an additional 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve over cooked brown rice. Garnish with a bit of dried cilantro.