Most of my friends and family consider me a germaphobe so this list is a little out of character to tell you NOT to use hand sanitizer. However, I’m not saying not use any hand sanitizer, just not the conventional chemical ones. Conventional hand sanitizers that you find retail are NOT a good option for your family due to the toxic ingredients and how they interact with the body. So here are three simple reasons why I avoid hand sanitizers:
1. It is poisonous if ingested. Isopropanol is used to denature the ethanol in Purell and isopropanol is poisonous.
- If ingested either accidentally or intentionally, alcohol poisoning can result. Two ounces of Purell is equivalent to four shots of vodka - it has 62% alcohol in it.
- The New England Journal of Medicine published information on the dangers of ingesting hand sanitizers (The New England Journal of Medicine, Feb. 1, 2007; vol 356: pp 529-530.). Material Safety Data Sheets warn us of allowing propylene glycol in direct contact with the skin. Propylene glycol is one of the key ingredients in hand sanitizers.
2. Chemical sanitizers kill ALL of the bacteria on the skin. We need to keep the good bacteria as these bacteria help fight the bad bacteria, viruses, and fungus that can make people sick. Not all bacteria are bad! By eliminating all of the bacteria, our skin is stripped of protection and lowers our immunity.
3. It can be drying to the skin. It removes all of the natural oil on the skin and can dry it out.
So what do I use as a safe form of hand cleaner? I use a homemade mixture of lemon or orange essential oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. These oils are extracted from the rind of the fruit and God added the natural cleansing properties. Also, unlike conventional chemical products, pure essential oils will not destroy the good bacteria on your skin.