Now that we know how the digestive system works and the importance of removing additives, preservatives, sugar, fats that the body can’t or will struggle to digest, here are a few Keep It SIMPLE Sweetie (not a fan of the other S word) tips to improve digestion and reduce symptoms connected with poor digestion.
How to reduce or eliminate digestive issues:
- Avoid processed, instant, sugar-laden, chemical-laden, hydrogenated/trans fats, “lifeless” foods
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, soda
- Avoid antacids
- Reduce or eliminate drinking iced or hot liquids immediately before, during or 30 minutes after a meal. Consider drinking 4 ounces or less of room temperature water as to not disrupt the digestive process
- Eat fruit separate from meals especially citrus like oranges and grapefruit
- Avoid high amounts of red meat & dairy
- Avoid gluten
- Avoid chewing gum (unnecessarily simulates enzymes)
- Don’t eat meat and starches together
- Don’t eat numerous different types of foods. Buffets, carry ins, holiday dinners, etc. are danger zones for creating digestive upset.
- Reducing the number of different foods on your plate in a meal is a simple habit to implement.
Clients are always asking what to eat and I tell them to keep it simple!Fish or chicken with a green vegetable or quinoa with pasta sauce with vegetables would be two simple dinner options. Lighten your digestive overload by reducing the number of foods you include in a meal.
Week 21 Action Step:
Tackle lightening your digestive overload using one or as many of the above suggestions as you can. What is a simple dinner or lunch item that you use to keep it simple? We would love for you to share it in the comments below.