We used to say, “you are what you eat” and now we say, “you are what you digest.”
You can eat clean, whole, natural and organic food all day every day but if your body can’t digest it, you are not going to experience optimal health. If your food is not broken down by chewing then your body will not be able to use it.
When digestion isn't happening correctly your body no longer provides the appropriate amount of enzymes to break food down and you will not be able to use the food for energy and to rebuild and your good eating habits will be doing no good.
Did you know most children properly digest their food until their bodies are corrupted with excess sugar, fats, additives and preservatives? Our bodies know how to digest foods and have the abilities to do so until we disrupt the process with excess foreign substances and toxins.
Surprisingly, most people don't recognize digestive disruption and therefor don't pay attention to the body's cries for digestive help.
Can you recognize the signs of improper digestion? Which of the following do you think aren't signs of digestive issues? Tell us which you think aren't signs in the comments below to be entered to win our monthly giveaway.
- Gas, belching after meals, bloating
- Indigestion or sourness 2-3 hours after eating
- Heavy, tired feeling after eating
- Chronic thirst
- Meat is no longer appealing or easily digested
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Early satiety, or fullness after a few bites
- Consistency of your stool
- Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- A chronic dry cough, sour taste in the mouth
- Frequent periods of nausea or excessive gas
Week 19 Action Step:
Take a close look at the body's messages regarding digestion this week. Keep a journal of the foods you eat and how they leave you feeling so you'll be able to easily pinpoint problems.